BEAUFORT, S.C. (Sept. 14, 2021) – The City of Beaufort has extended the 2021 Comprehensive Plan schedule.
In order to incorporate more fully the comments and input that the Department of Community & Economic Development has received about the working draft of the comp plan, the dates for presentation to City Council have changed.
The revised schedule:
- Sept. 14 – Present list of stakeholders interviewed at City Council work session.
- Sept. 28 – Present synopsis of comments at council work session.
- Nov. 9 – Public Hearing on proposed Comprehensive Plan at City Council regular meeting.
- Nov. 15 – Present draft-final of the Comprehensive Plan to the Metropolitan Planning Commission.
- Nov. 30 – Present draft-final of the Comprehensive Plan at council work session.
- Dec. 1-7 – Incorporate final revisions.
- Dec. 14 – Present final Comprehensive Plan to council for approval – first reading
The Comprehensive Plan provides a holistic assessment and vision for the city. The creation of the plan is guided by the Beaufort 2030 Future Vision exercise, the City’s Strategic Plan, the Civic Master Plan, the 2009 Comprehensive Plan, public input sessions and meetings with stakeholders. It has been a collaborative effort between City staff, the Lowcountry Council of Government planning staff, Design WorkShop consultants, the Metropolitan Planning Commission, and the public.
The plan addresses demographics, economic development, natural resources, cultural resources, community facilities, housing, land use, transportation, priority investment and resiliency. It guides all decisions related to planning, zoning, and development in the City of Beaufort, as required by South Carolina law.