BEAUFORT, S.C. (Oct. 13, 2021)– City Council approved the awarding of $183,135 in ATAX grants to seven non-profit local organizations at its Oct. 12 Regular Meeting.
Council accepted the recommendations of the Tourism Development Advisory Committee (TDAC), which considers applications annually.
The grants are generated by the State Accommodations Tax (ATAX) revenue, and state law governs the distribution and use of the monies. A certain amount of these revenues is allocated for the grant process to non-profit groups focused on the promotion, marketing, and advertising of tourism. TDAC meets once a year to review, discuss and score applicant presentations for these grants.
This year, $183,135 was budgeted for grants. TDAC committee members noted that a total of $235,732 was requested by eight organizations.
The grantees and amounts:
- Greater Beaufort/Port Royal CVB/DMO for sales plan: $20,000
- Greater Beaufort/Port Royal CVB/DMO for destination marketing: $130,000
- Port Royal Sound Foundation for outdoor exhibits for Maritime Center: $3,750
- SC Lowcountry & Resort Islands Tourism Commission for promotion of City of Beaufort and Lowcountry: $15,000
- Beaufort Sports Council for sports sales initiative: $12,731
- Friends of the Spanish Moss Trail for visitor rack cards: $654
- Historic Beaufort Foundation for Verdier House online marketing: $1,000