The City of Beaufort Building Codes Department is here to assist owners and development professionals through the permitting and construction process for projects of all sizes, from fences and signs, to new buildings.
- Physical & Mailing Address: 1911 Boundary Street, Beaufort, SC 29902
- Phone Number: 843-525-7040 or 840-525-7049
- Fax: 843-986-5606
- Inspection Line: 843-525-7041 - call before 4pm for next-day inspection
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Hours: M-F 8am-4pm; available by phone and email until 5pm
- Payment Accepted: Cash, Checks (via mail or in person) - payable to City of Beaufort; Credit Card- Master Card/Visa (in person or over the phone)
Access Online version of South Carolina Codes.
These codes have been adopted by the State of South Carolina. The City of Beaufort has also adopted:
- *2015 South Carolina Existing Building Code
- *2015 International Property Maintenance Code
Permit Information & Forms
Permits are required for most work within the City of Beaufort. Visit the Forms page for complete details and application forms.
Fee Schedule for building and permitting-related fees
Quick Project-Related Information
- Tree Protection and Silt Fencing: this is required for all new construction, including additions
- Noise Ordinance
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm Info: required for NEW single family construction
- Window Coverings During Renovations: the windows/doors may not be completely covered. A 3'x3' minimum opening is required.
- Sign Information: the City's Sign Ordinance can be found Section 6 of the Beaufort Code (updated July 2017). Signage for realtors is specifically addressed in Section 6.9.1. SignAapplication may be found on the Permits page.
- Incentive Programs: the city offers incentives for a number of project types, including Vacant and Abandoned structures and structures within the Historic District. Click here for a complete list and comprehensive information on these programs. A list of Vacant and Abandoned structures may also be found at that link.
- Construction-Related Licensing in South Carolina:
Chief Building Official - Bruce Skipper
email: firstname.lastname@example.org | phone: 843-525-7006