Check here regularly for updates on traffic conditions, construction news and other information!
- 2-14-18 Map - Boundary Street Update February 8th – 16th
- 2-2-18 Map - Boundary Street Update February 2nd – 9th
- 1-19-18 Map - Boundary Street Update January 18th – 26th
- 12-22-17 As promised, Polk Street from Hogarth to Boundary Street is now fully operational. This means that all roads have been opened to traffic. Additionally, both lanes from 170 feeding Boundary Street and from Boundary to 170 are fully functional. Opening all roads for full functionality was complex task, but was a fully coordinated effort between Preferred Materials, their sub-contractors, nfrastructure Consulting Engineering, Beaufort County and the City of Beaufort. Construction along Boundary Street is suspended for the holidays but will resume on January 3rd, 2018 per SCDOT directives. 2017 has been a very productive year and we believe 2018 will be the same. We are on track for an on-time, on-budget delivery. Thank you all for your patience.
- Beginning on January 3rd, H&H working in conjunction with SCE&G, Hargray & CenturyLink will continue the task of connecting the underground utility lines to each business or residence. Much progress has been made and there is still much to be done, but it is on schedule.
- Decorative street lights are being installed on Polk Street and Boundary Street will soon follow. This will provide a superior appearance to the entrance of the City.
- All boardwalks along Boundary Street have been installed and the tie-ins to the sidewalks have been completed for pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Enjoy.
- There is a final layer of asphalt that needs to be applied to Boundary and Polk Street. This will be one of the last items to be completed before the project delivers.
- The end of the project is near, but there is still much work to be done over the next months to create the ideal entrance to our City. Continue to exercise caution while transiting the construction zone.
- 12-8-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Dec 1st - 8th
- 12-1-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Dec 1st - 8th
- 11-17-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Nov 17th - 24th
- 11-3-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Nov 3rd - Nov 10th
- 10-27-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Oct 26th - Nov 3rd
- 10-24-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Oct 24th - 28th
- 10-13-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Oct 13th - 20th
- 10-5-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Oct 5th - 13th
- 9-25-17 Boundary Street landscaped median construction to start
- 9-22-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Sept 22nd - 29th
- 9-15-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Sept 15th - 22nd
- 8-31-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions August 31th - Sept 8th
- 8-17-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions August 17th - 25th
- 8-11-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions August 11th - 18th
- 8-4-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions August 3rd - 11th
- 7-27-17 Map - Boundary Street Map July 27th - Aug 4th
- 7-21-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions July 21st - 28th
- 7-13-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions July 13th - 21st
- 7-13-17 Beaufort Boundary St lane restriction to start SATURDAY night - July 15th
- 7-10-17 Boundary Street lane restriction Friday, Sunday
- 5-18-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions May 18th - 26th
- 5-11-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions May 11th - 19th
- 5-4-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions May 4th - 12th
- 4-27-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions April 27th - May 5th
- 4-24-17 We are taking advantage of an opportunity, weather permitting, to advance some asphalt work on Boundary Street and SC 170 North and Southbound.
- Tonight, Monday night, from 8pm to 6am, asphalt work will be done between Greenlawn Street and Firehouse Subs. This will necessitate closing off some, but not all driveways. Not all driveways will be shut down simultaneously in order to allow traffic to pass through the area.
- On Tuesday night, both the inbound and outbound lanes of Queen Street will be closed for asphalt work. This is involved because Queen Street, inbound and outbound require multiple layers of asphalt. This means that access will be closed to Queen inbound and outbound from Tuesday night to Wednesday night, although crews will work to open this access as quickly as possible.
- From Wednesday night to Friday night, major asphalt work will be done on both the North and South side of the SC 170 connector road. This will require restricting access to those businesses on the South side 170 connector road from significant periods of time from Wednesday night to Friday night.
- 4-20-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions April 20th - 28th
- 4-13-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions April 13th - 21st
- 4-12-17 Drivers urged to use caution on Boundary Street as driveway work continues
- 4-10-17 Today, BJWSA, notified the City of Beaufort that there would be a necessary water outage on April 12th beginning at 10pm and ending on April 13th at 2am. A total of 76 customers, located principally in the K-Mart shopping Center and Carolina Cove, will be affected by this water outage. This outage is being done to relocate critical water supply and distribution services.
BJWSA is in the process of notifying those customers affected by outage.
For immediate questions, please contact Pamela Flasch at PamelaF@bjwsa,org.
- 4-6-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions Apr 7th - 14th
- 4-5-17 Boundary Street boardwalks get steel cable railing
- 3-30-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions March 31st - Apr 7th
- 3-23-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions March 23rd - 31st
- 3-16-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions - March 16-24th
- 3-9-17 Boundary Street Contractor - 2 weeks look ahead
- 3-9-17 Boundary Street Construction Update
- 3-9-17 Map - Boundary Street Update, Road Restrictions - March 9-16th
- 2-16-17 Beaufort's First Street re-opens at Boundary Street
- Paved First Street
- 2-10-17 Water shutdown Monday night for Boundary Street waterline work
- 2-9-17 Boundary Street Contractor - 2 weeks look ahead
- 2-9-17 First Progress meeting minutes
- 2-9-17 Robert Smalls Parkway lane closure starts Friday near Boundary Street
- 2-2-17 Boundary St & Robert Smalls Parkway intersection detour Friday night
- 1-5-17 Boundary Street Construction Update
- 12-15-16 Boundary Street Construction Update
- 12-1-16 Boundary Street Contractor - 2 weeks look ahead
- 12-1-16 First Progress meeting minutes
- 11-10-16 Boundary Street Contractor - 2 weeks look ahead
- 11-10-16 First Progress meeting minutes
- 10-20-16 Construction Updates
- 10-17-16 Beaufort's Boundary Street lane shift starts Monday after storm delays
- 9-29-16 Boundary Street lane shift starts Monday Oct. 3
- 9-26-16 Weather delays Boundary Street lane shift one week
- 9-19-16 Boundary Street lane shifts start Sept. 26 for utility work
PHOTO: Boundary St. near Robert Smalls, before and after.
- 9-15-16 First Progress meeting minutes
- 9-15-16 Contractor 2 weeks look ahead
- 9-8-16 Construction Updates
- 9-8-16 Contractor 2 weeks look ahead
- 9-6-16 Water line work to shift traffic late Wednesday night on SC170 - Boundary Street
- 8-30-16 Construction Updates
- 8-30-16 Contractor 2 Weeks look ahead
- 8-9-16 Relocating Overhead Utilities
- 8-7-16 New Beaufort Boundary Street intersection opens
- 8-5-16 Beaufort Boundary Street intersection to open at SC 170
- 7-18-16 Limited night lane closures for Beaufort's Boundary Street
- 7-12-16 Hogarth and Polk street detour starts Thursday night for water line
- 5-6-16 Parts of Beaufort's First Street closed for utility, roadwork starting Monday
- 5/5/16 Rumors & Facts - Boundary Street Project
- 4-27-16 :30-second video featuring the Boundary St Project
- 4-20-16 On Wednesday, April 24th a steel plate installed by BJWSA on Boundary Street shifted and required emergency repair in the morning. A lane was closed to enable the repair. The steel plate was covering an open hole in the roadway from recent waterline work on at Greenlawn Street. Prior to the steel plate shifting, the plan had been to patch that area and others affected by Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority’s recent work all at the same time. The emergency shift by the steel plate required immediate attention. The unplanned lane closure on Boundary Street was in place from 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. Wednesday.
- 4-1-16 Water shutoff for portion of Boundary Street project in Beaufort
- 3-16-16 Lane shift on Boundary Street Thursday morning
- 3-11-16 Boundary Street lane shifts, closings start Saturday
- 3-3-16 Boundary Street information sessions moved to last Thursday every month
- 3-1-16 Beaufort strives to save live oak at Boundary Street project
- pruned oak tree
- 2-19-16 One lane of Boundary Street to close Sunday
- 2-15-16 Boundary Street speed limit drops, speeding fines increase
January 26, 2016
Construction of the Boundary Street improvements began January 4th. Please drive safely through the construction zone. Early work includes the demolition of the former Butler car center at the intersection of SC170 and Boundary Street as well as marking of utilities.
Beaufort-Jasper Water Sewer Authority (BJWSA) will begin its initial water line work the first week of February and will require a temporary shutoff of water to certain locations. BJWSA is working with those locations to minimize the inconvenience.
A few key points to remember:
- Lanes vane be closed only at night, between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Monday through Friday
- On Sundays, lanes can be closed any time between 1 p.m. and 6 a.m. Monday
- During daytime work, lanes may be shifted but four lanes of traffic will be open
- First stages of the project will focus on creating a "duct bank" underground where the overhead utility lines will be moved
October 29, 2014
Here is a simplified view of the four-lane improvements and traffic signals for the affected section of Boundary Street.
Click here to download the illustration.