Citizens may request a Burn Permit, or renew their previous year's Burn Permit, by calling the City of Beaufort Fire Department's Administration Division at (843) 525-7055.
In order to request a permit, the requester MUST own the property on which the burning will be conducted, or have a notarized letter from the property owner, granting permission to burn on the property.
The permit holder MUST call the burn request line at (843) 525-7032 on each day of the burn cycle on which burning will be conducted in order for that Burn Permit to be valid.
First time permit holder SHALL have their property and burn area inspected by a fire official prior to the permit being issued. In order to for the permit to be issued, the burn area must:
- Be located at a minimum of 50' from any combustible structure or vegetation if the burning will be done in an open circle, or 15' from the same if the burning will be conducted in an approved container. (i.e., metal drum)
- There must be a continuous water source connected and able to reach the burn area
- There shall not be any vegetation above the burn area
- The burn area shall not be within 50' of a property line
- The burn pile shall be no more than 3' in diameter and 2' in height
- Only (1) burn pile is allowed to be burning at one time