Officers receive ongoing training in the use of firearms, Taser, oleoresin capsicum (pepper) spray, defensive tactics, emergency vehicle operations, legal updates, and criminal domestic violence.
All training provided by the Beaufort Police Department meets or exceeds training requirements outlined by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Specific goals of the division:
- To provide department employees with training designed to meet their needs in performing assigned tasks to fulfill the department’s goals and objectives.
- To plan and develop lessons plans related to the needs of the department using a variety of training resources and to develop qualified instructors
- To periodically review and evaluate the training available to personnel and to make recommendations for improvement
- Network with providers and other agencies throughout the State
- Assist other agencies in region and State with their training needs