Special Election for Mayor
The City of Beaufort will hold a Special Election for Mayor on Dec. 12, 2023, to fill the unexpired term of Stephen Murray.
This term will expire in December 2024.
Special Election 2023 – December 12, 2023
Qualifications for office
- Be a registered voter in good standing in the State of South Carolina.
- Be a resident of the City of Beaufort, South Carolina.
- Meet deadlines. Filing opens at noon on Friday, Oct. 6, 2023. Candidates must meet filing deadline of noon on Monday, Oct. 16.
Steps to becoming a candidate
- Verify Voter Registration Status at SC Board of Elections website, or by calling the Beaufort County Board of Elections at (843) 255-6900. Make note of your voter registration number.
- Complete the Statement of Intention of Candidacy -- Nonpartisan form, which is included in this package. This package can be picked up at the office of City Council Clerk Traci Guldner, City Hall (2nd floor), 1911 Boundary St., Beaufort. Her office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon-Fri.
- File the completed Statement of Intention of Candidacy -- Nonpartisan form and the applicable filing fee, $250 for mayoral seat, with the City of Beaufort – Council Clerk Office. Note: Make checks out to City of Beaufort.
- File Statement of Economic Interest and Campaign Disclosure forms with the South Carolina Ethics Commission. These forms must be filed online. Forms, requirements, and filing instructions are available from the State Ethics Commission website here.
- Statement of Intention of Candidacy -- Nonpartisan and applicable filing fee must be received no later than noon on Monday, Oct. 16, 2023, to have your name placed on the ballot. Late submissions will not be accepted per SC Code of Law S5-15-70.