Building a better Beaufort is the goal of a $30 million investment in Boundary Street to create a safer and more scenic entry to the city, provide better commercial and retail locations, and improve traffic conditions.
A financial impact analysis indicates the local economy will see $5 in benefits for every $1 invested in the Boundary Street Redevelopment District.
The project includes:
- Creating commercial/retail nodes
- Expanding the Spanish Moss Trail in partnership with Beaufort County
- Providing alternate ways for people to reach commercial/retail locations, including bike and walking paths, improving efficiency
- Realigning the intersection of South Carolina (SC) 170 and Boundary Street to make it safer and to help traffic flow more smoothly
- Retrofitting, re-investing, and redeveloping neglected areas of the corridor
The work is part of a larger effort to reconfigure Beaufort from near the Marine Corps Air Station to annexed areas of Lady’s Island, thus creating a unified and connected neighborhood designed for people, not just cars.