Officers receive ongoing training in the use of:
- Defensive tactics
- Oeoresin capsicum (pepper) spray
- Domestic violence intervention and prevention
- Legal updates
- Emergency vehicle operations
All training provided by the Beaufort Police Department meets or exceeds training requirements outlined by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Specific goals include:
- Assist other agencies in region and state with their training needs.
- Network with providers and other agencies throughout the state.
- Periodically review and evaluate the training available to personnel and make recommendations for improvement.
- Develop lessons related to the needs of the department; develop qualified instructors.
- Provide department employees with training designed to meet their needs in performing assigned tasks to fulfill the department’s goals and objectives.