Business License Applications
A company's initial business license is valid from the time it begins operations through April 30. Every year thereafter, the license requires annual renewal. The exceptions are for a Group Event Business Licenses or a Temporary Business License.
As a courtesy, annual business license renewal forms are sent to the business’ mailing address on file. These renewal forms are sent at the beginning of the business Llcense renewal season (February-March). We also post reminders on our social media sites. The renewal deadline is April 30.
If a renewal form has not been received, has been misplaced, or assistance is needed calculating the renewal fee please call or email the Business Licensing Office for assistance.
First step -- zoning approval
If your business is a bricks-and-mortar location and you are a resident applicant, you must get zoning approval by submitting a Zoning (Safety) Application.
If you are a home-based business, you will need to submit a Home Occupation Application.
If you are a short-term rental business, you will need to submit a Short Term Rental Application.
All resident applicants will be required to submit the following documents and complete applicable zoning requirements:
- Accommodations Fee Reporting Sheet (if applicable)
- Annual Business License Application
- Articles of Organization (if Applicable)
- Business Personal Property Tax Form
- Copy of Driver's License
- Hospitality Fee Form (if applicable)
- South Carolina Profession Occupation License (If Applicable)
- South Carolina Retail License (If Applicable)
Other requirements for specialized industries
The City values its businesses and offers the following discounts:
- If you are a resident or non-resident business and your business license is renewed by March 15 (normal due date to renew is April 15) a 1.5% discount is applied to your license fee.
- If you are resident business and have been in operation for five years or more, and remit your renewal fee by March 15, you are entitled to an additional 1.5%.
- Businesses have a potential to receive a maximum 3% discount.
Business license renewals are due on or before April 30 of each year. Failure to pay your renewal fee by that date will result in delinquent penalty fees. A 5% penalty fee will be added to all business licenses on the 1st of every month until the business license is paid.