- Finance Department
- Business License
- Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rentals
Rental of a whole house, a room within a house, a carriage house or an accessory dwelling unit for less than 30 days is considered a short-term rental (STR) and must comply with the City’s Short Term Rental Ordinance, Section 3.6.2.C.2. The property owner may or may not live on the premises when using the property as a short-term rental.
Per City of Beaufort Short Term Rental Ordinance, neighborhoods within the City’s jurisdiction (excluding The Point) are capped at 6% of residentially zoned parcels that are allowed to operate as short term rentals.
For any questions regarding the short term rental process, 6% cap on neighborhoods, or accommodation tax payments, please reach out to the Business Licensing Department -- contact information is on the right.
The following steps will assist you in successfully completing the requirements for short-term rentals:
- Complete the Short-Term Rental Conditional Use Application and pay $100 application fee.
- Provide a copy of your rental agreement, a copy of your property management plan, and a copy of your fire alarm monitoring contract.
- A safety inspection is required following approval of your application. A safety inspection fee of $50 is due prior to the scheduled inspection. To schedule your inspection, call 843-525-7041.
- Complete the City of Beaufort Business License Requirements.
- Information Packet
- Neighborhood Maps
- Short Term Rentals Interactive Neighborhood Map (Note: This map does not reflect pending applications. Please email the Business License Office at email@example.com to verify availability.)
Justin RoseBusiness License InspectorPhone: 843-525-6526
Kelsey MedagliaBusiness License AdministratorPhone: 843-525-7072
1911 Boundary Street
Beaufort, SC 29902
- Can I use my house as a Short Term Rental?
- Can I license a property as a Short Term Rental without the property owners permission?
- What if I was unaware of the Short Term Rental Ordinance and have been operating a Short Term Rental in the City?
- Can I be placed on a waiting list if the cap limit has been met in my neighborhood?