Historic District Review Board
The Historic District Review Board (HRB) is a five-member board. The members are appointed by City Council for three-year terms. Each member may serve for two consecutive terms. The board’s mission is to aid in the preservation, protection and enhancement of the Beaufort National Historic Landmark District.
The board reviews the following types of activities within the Historic District:
- New construction and additions
The Historic District is divided into two subdistricts:
- Conservation Neighborhood (also known as the Northwest Quadrant)
- Preservation Neighborhood
The Northwest Quadrant Design Principles provides guidance for projects in the Conservation Neighborhood (Northwest Quadrant).
For projects located in the Preservation Neighborhood, guidance for the board’s decisions is provided by the Beaufort Preservation Manual and the Beaufort Preservation Manual Supplement.
Copies of the 1979 Milner Historic District Inventory, 1997 Beaufort County Above Ground Historic Resources Survey and Sandborn Fire Insurance Co. maps are available in the Community & Economic Development Department.
Agendas & minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- 2 p.m.
- 2nd Wednesday of each month
- City Hall
1911 Boundary Streeet
Beaufort, SC 29902
- John Dickerson (Chairman)
- Bill Allison (Vice-Chairman)
- Stacy Applegate
- Katherine Pringle
- Chuck Symes
If you have any special needs due to a physical challenge, please contact the Community & Economic Development Department at 843-525-7011.
Only digital submittal of all documents is accepted now. You may also view the meeting schedule in document form. NOTE: Deadlines for applications are due by noon a minimum of 4 weeks in advance. Scheduled dates for review of applications are dependent on the number of applications received.
|Wednesday, January 13, 2021|
|Wednesday, February 10, 2021|
|Wednesday, March 10, 2021|
|Wednesday, April 14, 2021|
|Wednesday, May 12, 2021|
|Wednesday, June 9, 2021|
|Wednesday, July 14, 2021|
|Wednesday, August 11, 2021|
|Wednesday, September 8, 2021|
|Wednesday, October 13, 2021|
|Wednesday, November 10, 2021|
|Wednesday, December 8, 2021|
- All documents must be submitted to the Department of Community & Economic Development at:
1911 Boundary Street
Beaufort, SC 29902
- All documents must be submitted in a complete digital package by the deadline date.
- Fees for demolition are due at the time of the applicant submittal.
- IMPORTANT: A project will not be reviewed if the applicant or representative is not present at the meeting.