The Planning Division is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Beaufort Code, for the review and coordination of changes to the legal boundaries of real property, and for coordination of the design review process.
Beaufort Development Code
The City of Beaufort adopted the Beaufort Development Code on June 27, 2017. It has been amended since then. It can be accessed and searched online:
Please contact the Community Development Department with any questions.
The Beaufort Code is a form-based development code. What does that mean?
Form-based codes address the relationship between building facades and the public realm, the form and mass of buildings in relation to one another, and the scale and types of streets and blocks. -- Planopedia
The Beaufort Code coordinates with Beaufort County's and Port Royal's development ordinances.
- Beaufort Code details and City zoning map
- View the Property Zoning Request Form
- Zoning Request - Email us with information on the address or the property Identification number (PIN): Email Planning.
Additional zoning resources
The City and Beaufort County partner to host an interactive zoning map viewable by the public. To use this zoning map, follow these instructions:
- Go to: Public Mapping Site (beaufortcountysc.gov)
- Click on the globe icon
- Then select “City of Beaufort Zoning Map”
- After that you may search for addresses using the magnifying glass icon, alter layer overlays with the layers icon, or scroll and zoom manually to view the zoning for parcels located within the City.
Access other zoning documents and plans by visiting the Documents and Plans page.